Welcome to Resolution Week here on Strong is a Lifestyle! I will be posting everyday this week about a popular resolution so hopefully you will get inspired and motivated to accomplish all of your goals for 2017! For each post I will be uploading a corresponding video on the same subject on my Youtube channel! (Check out today’s video here and please subscribe to my channel!)
First up is one of the most popular resolutions and that is to eat healthier! To me eating healthy means eating balanced and filling meals. No diets here! I try to eat a lot of whole foods, limit my processed foods, and eat a mix of carbohydrates, fats, and protein for every meal. In keeping with that I think breakfast is THE most important meal of the day so I definitely try to incorporate all of the food groups I can to give me energy for the day ahead! Most importantly, in my opinion, is to have complex carbohydrates in your breakfasts as much as possible because it gives you sustained energy until your morning snack or lunch.
So here are my favorite filling and tasty breakfast recipes that are quick to make and will give you the energy you need to tackle the day!
IDEA 1: Bell Pepper and Spinach Egg Bake
This is such an easy recipe to make and is my version of meal prepping for breakfast. One of these will last me all week, add a side of fruit, greek yogurt, or a piece of toast and you’re set.
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, you can chop or leave whole
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or add to taste
- 10- 15 large eggs depending on size of baking dish
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make:
Idea 2: Oatmeal with Berries & PB
- 1 packet or 1 cup of instant oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of your favorite berries
How To Make:
- Add instant oats and water to a bowl
- Microwave instant oats for a minute or as directions on packet specify
- Top with peanut butter and berries
Idea 3: Black Bean & Turkey Bacon Breakfast Burrito
I absolutely love breakfast burritos – I even make them for lunch! You can top this with a little sour cream or salsa, and maybe some Mexican cheese to really make it a fiesta! These are nice when you have 5-10 minutes to whip something up!
- Whole wheat tortilla
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of black beans
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 strips of turkey bacon
How To Make:
- Cook Turkey Bacon in pan on medium heat until as crisp as desired
- Beat two eggs together and add cook through
- Throw black beans in with eggs and heat up
- Put tortilla in microwave for about 45 seconds to heat up
- Put all ingredients together and top with avocado
Idea 4: Avocado Toast, Turkey Sausage & Fruit
Again, another simple breakfast but oh so yummy and oh so easy to make. I love this breakfast because it has a variety of flavors and is as simple as toasting some toast and heating up some turkey sausage!
- 2 Turkey Sausage Links
- 2 Slices of Ezekiel Bread (Or whole wheat bread)
- 1 cup of your favorite berries or fruit
- 1/2 large avocado
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How To Make:
- Heat up turkey sausage links in a pan until cooked until desired
- Toast slices of bread
- Mix your favorite berries
- Slice and spread Avocado on toast
- Add salt and pepper to toast
I hope you enjoyed my quick, easy, tasty and healthy breakfast ideas. Let me know what your favorite breakfast is in the comments!
Happy New Year!